In 1998, Texas Executive Women established the Jackie Greer Mentoring Scholarship, which provides scholarships for mentees graduating from high school to attend a university, junior college or trade school. Jackie Greer was the first female officers of a major Houston bank, church and community leader who was passionate about helping young women in the Houston area. Linda Holt, who succeeded Jackie in running the program, shared: “Trust was not given easily, but soon the girls were converts to Jackie’s philosophy that ‘with pride and the right attitude, all things are possible.” As of 2020, we have awarded more than $700,000 in scholarships to graduates of the TEW Mentorship Program.
Scholarships will be awarded to graduating seniors planning to enroll in a community college, college or university, or a vocational or career education school acceptable to the TEW Mentoring Scholarship Committee. All scholarships must be claimed and funded by the deadlines established and provided to the scholarship recipients by the Scholarship Committee.
Applicants for the Texas Executive Women Jackie Greer Mentoring Scholarship must meet the following criteria established by Texas Executive Women:
- Any applicant must have participated in 2020 and 2021 in a TEW sponsored middle school or high school mentoring program, i.e., Ladies of Excellence, Ladies of Distinction (Aldine Senior High School or Aldine Ninth Grade School); Career Women of the Future (Alief High School or Ball High School); or any other approved TEW sponsored mentoring program.
- Applicant must plan to enroll in a community college, college or university, or a vocational or career education school acceptable to the TEW Scholarship Committee and matriculate in the fall semester within the year which the scholarship is awarded.
- Applicant must be in “good standing” with her current school (not on academic or disciplinary probation) and with the TEW Mentoring Program.
- Applicant must possess a “B” average or better to be eligible for the TEW Jackie Greer Mentoring Scholarship.
- Applicant must submit a color or black and white graduation photograph or other headshot with the application.
Applications will be available in mid-March and will be due by April 24, 2021.
For information on how to apply for a 2021 TEW Scholarship, please contact Cynthia Colbert, Chair of the Scholarship Committee.